Friday 26 November 2010

Meet our new Sixth Form Forum student representatives

This year, the College has launched a new Sixth Form Forum. Composed of elected representatives, it's a place for students to discuss College issues, suggest ideas and enact initiatives.

Following elections earlier this term, we thought we'd give you a quick introduction to some of the new Sixth Form Forum representatives and what they're hoping to achieve this year – starting at their first meeting, on Wednesday 8 December …


Flora McGivan
'I would like to present the students views to the members of staff and to enhance the lives of students at d'Overbroeck's. I also hope to help all the students make the most of all our opportunities!'

Storm Gonsalves
'I hope to use both my skill and insight to transform the sixth form student forum, with help from the student body, into a financialy, socially and legally stable institution with one aim: serving the sixth form students of d'Overbroeck's while setting an example for all other like-minded organizations in Oxfordshire – and hey, while we're at it, even THE WHOLE OF BRITAIN!'

'Josh' Pongnaren Jinruang
I believe in equality, freedom of speech, and mutual respect for different personal preferences. I plan to make sure that every voice is heard and every inquiry is attended to, within reason, so that d'Overbroeck's College will provide an enjoyable experience, educational and otherwise, for all.

Filipa Adzic
My aim is to consider everybody's opinion – because the Student Forum isn't about me; it's about everybody in d'Overbroeck's. So I want to get everybody to write on a piece of paper 3 things that they want in d'Overbroeck's. The thing that is mentioned most frequently is the thing we should concentrate on.

Sam Barton
I hope to contribute to making d'Overbroeck's Sixth Form an even better community and make life easier for students at a time of high stress levels and anxiety for many! I hope to do this by bringing experience from working with local youth forums, a need to talk with everyone about their views and plenty of ideas of my own.

John Morgan
One of the main things I want to focus on is the school's musical side. Aside from the Winter Concert, I'm going to push for new school organised bands (rock, jazz, pop) etc, and music collectives, where students can get together to write, create and produce music.

As well as that, I'm keen to represent the opinions of people in boarding houses/host families, as that is where I currently reside, and I feel that that aspect of the school, whilst already fantastic, needs a representative for any issues that need to be brought up within the council.



The full list of Student Forum representatives is: Filipa Adzic, Sam Barton, Storm Gonsalves, 'Josh' Pongnaren Jinruang, Flora McGivan, Matt McNally, John Morgan, Sam Pickering.

No comments: