Tuesday 17 June 2008

Iran Uncarpeted


Chris Dobbing left d'Overbroeck's a year ago, and has since taken a gap year - in his words, "the warm fuzzy space between education and the real world". During a 90-day round-the-world trip, he spent ten days in Iran. The following description of his experiences is taken from the article he has written: Iran Uncarpeted.

My solitary wander through Iran's thid largest city, Isfahan, did not reveal any nuclear weapons factories or fundamentalist Muslims. On the contrary, I felt safe and welcomed. As I browsed, I was approached by a young Iranian guy, of about my age, introducing himself as Ali. 

I asked what he did for a living. He pulled a face, and declared:

'If I tell you, you'll run away.'

I cautiously promised not to. Ali looked at me and grinned: 'I'm a carpet seller.'

I burst into laughter, and so did he. He took me to his shop, gave me tea and we talked about the country. Not once did he mention buying a carpet. I got the impression that politics were very detached from the streets: the upcoming elections were of little interest to Ali or any of his family or friends - they were totally disenfranchised. 

One day, Ali explained, he would like to go to Australia and start business there, but he would never get a passport. To be granted permission to leave the country, Iranian citizens must do two years National Service, something that he refused to do. My British passport was burning a hole in my pocket at this point, and I felt guilty for my right to travel wherever the whim took me.

The trip gave me a new respect for the freedoms afforded us; an appreciation of our multi-cultural and liberal way of life; and experience of doing my own laundry. I'd recommend a gap year to anyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, many Western democracies require a period of national service instead of self-indulgent wanderings around the world in "gap" years. It builds character.

Tom said...

Well, that's your view, anonymous - and thanks for posting - though I think "self-indulgent" is a little sweeping.

I don't think Chris made any comments for or against the notion of national service: it was Ali, the Iranian carpet-seller, who refused to undertake this.

Anonymous said...

yes! Both of yours said the two sides of a thing. but life is yours~